Skip to main content

Google - doing evil?

So, I confess my dirty librarian secret: I really like Google. I know I'm meant to be an expert online, using the most appropriate search engine for whatever information I'm looking for (I keep meaning to try to use Sputtr for that too, even though the name sounds like it's an asthmatic with a cold, but never quite remember), but... Google works so WELL!
And it allows you to personalise it with iGoogle, and narrow searches to UK only, and that's lovely!

But, I do worry about what they do with my data. After all, to personalise to iGoogle, you must be logged in. Which means every search you do is logged against your user name / ID, and whatever other information about yourself you've given them. Even if you've not said where you live, your searches are likely to do that. Been on holiday recently? Researched that on Google when logged in? That data's been recorded too. Looked for recipes? Childcare tips? Been looking for a new job? Snap. Although it may be anonymised, that data can still identify you individually, as AOL found out to their cost when they released some 'anonymised' data a while back, and subsequently some users were identified from that data, prompting the usual threats of lawsuits.

Currently, Google log search query details, the IP address of the searcher, and install a cookie (on the machines of those that don't block them) with a validity of 30 years to recognise returning visitors. And they're currently debating with Europe about the time length they hold that data for. I don't like that sort of information being held for any longer than is absolutely necessary. Previously, Goggle held it as long as they saw necessary. Now, they're pledging to anonymise it after 18-24 months. But why so long? Honestly, just how much use is information on a web search after 2 years? I'm very protective of my data online: if forced to register to use a site, I like to play around - initial letters only if asked for a first and last name, make up an age, and sometimes I change gender. After all, I never signed a usage agreement with the Magical Interweb saying I'd always be truthful about my personal details, did I? What information I give up, and to who, is my choice, usually after a check of their data protection and retention policy.

Now, it's true, I could opt not to not to use Google if I'm searching, but surely that defeats the purpose of selecting and using the best tool for the job. I'm not going to use a brushpan and shovel to clean my carpets when I have a Dyson, and nor am I going to use a lesser search engine when Google is constantly tweaking its already very successful algorithms to improve their product every day. I know their recent black ranking by Privacy International is a result of their many products, and the sharing of data between them. They're probably not deliberately doing evil, but they're perhaps beginning to allow a little bit of badness to seep in at the edges...

You know what's even more fun?
Google's now got a log of all the searches I just did for this blog post...

Comments

Daniel Twigg said…
Hi Jennie

Interesting take on Google. I think the backlash is gathering momentum now.

I am writing on behalf of http://www.192.com

I am researching if legal librarians use 192.com to find people or companies, for example. I would be interested in your feedback on the site and how you use it? Please let me know if you have a moment. Cheers Daniel

Popular posts from this blog

What's in a name?

In the case of this blog, it's a name that had no particular thought or planning behind it - I had no idea whether I would actually want to keep it going, what I would blog about, or that anyone would ever read it. Well, it's almost 4 years later (17th June 2007 is blog birthday, if we're counting), and the blog's still here, so I think we can now safely assume that it's probably going to be sticking around. And the name's been getting on my nerves a bit...you have no idea the amount of people who have found this blog looking for ladies called Jennie Law or Jenny Law. Personally, I'm not actually called Jennie Law, so I'm no help to these poor searchers, although for the right fee I could maybe consider pretending to be... I also don't blog a huge amount about law: I'm not a lawyer, I just have the job of finding stuff for lawyers. Sometimes that process amuses me, sometimes it annoys me, and I blog about it. Sometimes I write about library is

The mysteries of cataloguing

Cataloguing: an arcane art, where each piece of punctuation is significant, and commas and semi colons are all-powerful. Well, they are in "proper" libraries, where in-depth research of esoteric points goes on, and the precise spelling of Christian names, and information such as when a person lived and died can be crucial in pinpointing obscure facts. Here, we have our own catalogue system. It doesn't have a name, but if it did, it would probably be something along the lines of "I need this book NOW, no I don't care about the precise spelling of the authors middle name, or their date of birth." I know, I know, it's not snappy, but it's accurate. Cataloguing demands are different in a commercial law firm: we don't care about much more than what it's about, who wrote, when, and what jurisdiction it covers. And what we really, really care about is "where the hell is it". Law books are amazing: they have the power to move themselves f

UK librarian blogs - the list so far

I’ve pulled the previous entries into one alphabetical list, with a few categories. Will be back later with more detailed discussion of what I’ve learned by doing this. And, as always, if you know of other librarian blogs, let me know and I’ll add them in! Institutional Library Blogs / Professional Group Blogs aRKive Appears to be the blog of the Reid Kerr College library, or someone related to the Library, but unable to confirm as it doesn’t have any ‘about’ section that I can find. Lots of posts about library topics, books, IT… Brit Lib Blogs Google Group There’s a Google Group for British librarian bloggers! Unfortunately it looks to be pretty much unused at the moment. CILIP Blogs CILIP has various blogs by either staff, or links to relevant blogs, available from the Communities section. Varying levels of activity on these blogs – the PTEG blog has one post from November 2007, while Lyndsay’s CILIP Blog has been going has been going for almost a year, with at le