Skip to main content

Book a gift

Since I like a good browse on Etsy, and I come across some interesting stuff there, I thought it was time for another librariany gift selection. For this series of posts, I am focussing entirely on the book itself. That means items made out of books, accessories for modern books (the Kindle, iPad, Nook etc), clothes and jewellery that involve books, decorative book-related items, book quotes, and "other", which is a whole world of random...

So, lets start with the physical book , shall we?

Book sculptures/folding is very popular on Etsy, so you can find plenty of "Christmas tree" shaped foldings, and even some shaped ones, like barrels, or pinch-waisted shapes. Even a pretty, sewn clamshell:

shop

The most impressive book sculptures I've seen though are these - very complex looking, and done to order:

shop


If you want to go all out for an insanely good book sculpture, you could invest in this sort of thing:

shop

Or if you want a slightly more affordable version, how about a photograph of a sculpture?

shop

Perhaps you prefer your books to be more "arty"? How about another style of book sculpture (that seems to be a bit more like "the horrific nightmare of a librarian after discovering a flood in their library" to me)?

shop

Or how about your own fairytale within a book?

shop

Books can be functional too - stacking your books on a floating "book shelf" would be good fun...until you got a schlumpy one that just wanted to do a slide off the side.

shop

Although perhaps yours books are a tad on the small side to be needing a big bookshelf all for themselves anyway?
shop

If you like to keep a book around that looks like a serious read, purely to impress visitors, then it could at least also be useful and charge your phone for you too:

shop


And where better to hide Important Things (and, of course, hip flasks) than in a books safe?
shop

Or do you like your books to be a bit more portable?
shop

And here endeth the first post of book gifts...more to come soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When mentoring malfunctions

Mentoring's one of the standard activities that you'll come across in the information profession. We're very caring and sharing like that, wanting to support people in their professional development. As you start your career as an information professional, you'll regularly hear the advice: get a mentor. Or, as you advance in your career and seem to be doing well, you'll be advised to become a mentor. This is fine: yes, both being mentored and being a mentor can be excellent relationships, and very useful for both parties involved. But.....mentoring relationships are like any other relationships: they can go wrong. And they can go wrong in a whole lot of ways. I've heard of mentors and mentees whose relationships have malfunctioned due to mismanagement, wrong focus, disinterest, and inappropriate behaviour. Like any other relationship, bullying and abuse can happen in mentor/mentee arrangements, but it can be very difficult for the participants to escape t...

Time to shut down?

I've been thinking a lot recently about what my blog is actually contributing. I'm not a leading 'thinker', I'm not an investigative reporter, I'm not really great at anything, I'm just, well, here. It's been great for meeting other law librarians, both in the UK and internationally, but do I actually really contribute anything useful or new? I don't think so, to be very honest. So what's the point of me continuing this blog? I can now post (hopefully) useful stuff to the law.librarian collaborative blog, which I would otherwise have posted here, so this blog has become kind of surplus to requirements really. I started it to post items I thought were relevant to my field, so I could refer back to them easily, but law.librarians does a far better job of it together than I could ever do on my own! I may continue to post items of relevance to Scots law only, or the more fun / frivolous that doesn't really fit on law.librarians, but I think that...

Careering along

When I look around at the activities of information professional groups, it seems that there’s a disparity. There’s quite often a lot of support and funding available for those who’re just starting out in the profession, but a desert of nothingness for those of us who’re “just getting on with it”. If you’re a new professional, you have lots of groups to support you as you progress in your early career, various prize funds available for essay and report writing, access to bursaries for conference attendance, eligibility for awards for being new and enthusiastic. But what do you get when you’re past that bright-eyed-and-bushy-tailed first 5 years (5 years seems to be the approximate cut-off point for becoming “established” and no longer new). What happens when you’ve already received a bursary from an organisation earlier in your career and so wouldn’t be eligible for one now, meaning you’re not able to attend events or training? When you’re heavily involved in a project but not at ...