Skip to main content

Soggy cakes, hard biscuits, invisible refunds

Yes, so we all know by now that Jaffa Cakes are definitely cakes. (Cakes go hard when exposed to the air, unlike a biscuit, which goes soft. It's because a cake is more moist than the air, so loses it's moisture to the air and hardens, while a biscuit does the reverse. That's the wonderful world of science, kids!)

And that Marks and Spencers won a VAT refund from HMRC, which had misclassified teacakes as a chocolate covered biscuit rather than a cake, and therefore added VAT to them from 1973 until 1994.

But....M&S won that judgement in 2009...so where's the refund? Did they get it?

And what about Tunnocks, also purveyors of fine teacakes: have they applied for their refund? They've been making them since the 1890s...that could be some tax refund!

Biscuit-obsessed minds want to know...

Teacake image from here

Comments

Michael said…
You can't beat a Tunnocks - I haven't had those for years! ;-)
charmian said…
Marks and Spencer teacakes are rubbish anyway, there is no jam in them./
Anonymous said…
Hi Jennie,

After looking into VAT on snacks a while back I became quite obsessed by this! Am sure M&S must have got the refund (and I like to think they used it to fund those £10 meal deals, which are basically philanthropic works) but I can't find it anywhere in their financial statements.

I also wanted to say that I heart your blog (because it is fun and because some of my favourite people are law librarians ; ) ). Sorry. End of sycophancy!
DeanM said…
If only HMRC had paid more attention to the name of the product "tea cakes". Oh well at least we have a definition of each now. Though I do worry about those giant cookies you buy from the supermarkets in little bags. They're soft and go hard when off. Does this mean they are cakes?
Dumpling said…
@Michael Ah Tunnocks, made in my homeland!

@charmianoldman22 Jam? Jam? This is not an appropriate teacake filling! ;)

@Tax Law Scotland Nice work on the digging - the meal deals are indeed a service to society, although they're sadly lacking in a nice stovies meal option :) I'm also concerned that you're actually managing to write a fun and humorous tax law blog...are you sure you're really a lawyer? ;)

@dmason Oh noes, will HMRC have to investigate? Well, that's just the way the cookie crumbles, I guess...(geddit!?!?)

Popular posts from this blog

When mentoring malfunctions

Mentoring's one of the standard activities that you'll come across in the information profession. We're very caring and sharing like that, wanting to support people in their professional development. As you start your career as an information professional, you'll regularly hear the advice: get a mentor. Or, as you advance in your career and seem to be doing well, you'll be advised to become a mentor. This is fine: yes, both being mentored and being a mentor can be excellent relationships, and very useful for both parties involved. But.....mentoring relationships are like any other relationships: they can go wrong. And they can go wrong in a whole lot of ways. I've heard of mentors and mentees whose relationships have malfunctioned due to mismanagement, wrong focus, disinterest, and inappropriate behaviour. Like any other relationship, bullying and abuse can happen in mentor/mentee arrangements, but it can be very difficult for the participants to escape t...

Time to shut down?

I've been thinking a lot recently about what my blog is actually contributing. I'm not a leading 'thinker', I'm not an investigative reporter, I'm not really great at anything, I'm just, well, here. It's been great for meeting other law librarians, both in the UK and internationally, but do I actually really contribute anything useful or new? I don't think so, to be very honest. So what's the point of me continuing this blog? I can now post (hopefully) useful stuff to the law.librarian collaborative blog, which I would otherwise have posted here, so this blog has become kind of surplus to requirements really. I started it to post items I thought were relevant to my field, so I could refer back to them easily, but law.librarians does a far better job of it together than I could ever do on my own! I may continue to post items of relevance to Scots law only, or the more fun / frivolous that doesn't really fit on law.librarians, but I think that...

Careering along

When I look around at the activities of information professional groups, it seems that there’s a disparity. There’s quite often a lot of support and funding available for those who’re just starting out in the profession, but a desert of nothingness for those of us who’re “just getting on with it”. If you’re a new professional, you have lots of groups to support you as you progress in your early career, various prize funds available for essay and report writing, access to bursaries for conference attendance, eligibility for awards for being new and enthusiastic. But what do you get when you’re past that bright-eyed-and-bushy-tailed first 5 years (5 years seems to be the approximate cut-off point for becoming “established” and no longer new). What happens when you’ve already received a bursary from an organisation earlier in your career and so wouldn’t be eligible for one now, meaning you’re not able to attend events or training? When you’re heavily involved in a project but not at ...