Skip to main content

Copyright and CaseCheck

Got time off for good behaviour yesterday, and was allowed out for a CILIPS training event: "Copyright in the digital age: an introduction for information professionals".


Chair:
Tony Donnelly, Chief Librarian Glasgow Metropolitan College

10.00 Registration and coffee

10.30 Welcome and introduction

10.35 An overview of copyright in the digital age (JISCLEGAL)

11.00 Keynote Managing digital rights (Paul Pedley, Head of Research at the Economist Intelligence Unit)

11.45 The challenges of digital preservation (Simon Bains, Digital Library Manager, National Library of
Scotland)

12.30 Using Creative Commons licences (Dr Charles Duncan CEO Intrallect)


1.00 Lunch

2.15 Managing intellectual property rights in digital learning materials:The Trust DR project. (John Casey, EDINA)

3.00 Digital licenses: a practical guide (Alan Rae, Dundee College)


3.45pm Summary and close


Unfortunately, John Casey was unable to attend, but I was actually a bit relieved about this - I had the Scottish Law Librarians Group AGM to attend at 4pm, to could have been pushing it for time otherwise!

The content of the seminar itself was very interesting, but I couldn't help but feel that I had a bit of a headstart on librarians in other subject areas - working in law, I already knew about most of the topics covered. Looking at the text of legislation wasn't something new for me, I know about database rights, and the British Horseracing Board case and its implications, and the other cases mentioned throughout the day. Some of the speakers were aiming at an academic audience (although their main points worked for all information professionals), and discussed things relevant only to a purely academic setting, such as ERA, which I had never heard of.

Overall, it was a good refresher course, the Creative Commons section was very useful to me: I've never really considered Creative Commons before, but that's probably because I don't create any material of note. Also, the bit on the challenges of digital preservation was very good too. I have to admit though, I'm slightly disappointed that it wasn't actually going into more depth about copyright, and the effects of new technology on it. I was hoping for perhaps a bit more detail about what is and isn't possible to do with digital materials, but I suppose that's hard to do, without having everyones electronic content licences there to examine!

The best thing about the event I think was meeting another law librarian, Kate McIntosh - it's always nice to get to know more people in the profession, and as an added bonus, she's also fab! (and apparently reads this blog, which is the first time I've met a 'real' person I didn't know who knew of it...*warm inner glow*)

Afterwards, it was off the the SLLG AGM (with me managing to slip in late for the last bit of the Committee Meeting...BAD Committee member me, being at a course instead of a Committee meeting!!), where Stephen Moore from CaseCheck talked to us about his fabby product.

Basically, it's a collaborative blog where recent Scottish cases of note are posted, with a synopsis from experts, saving shedloads of time trawling through the horrendous ScotCourts website for judgements. And I'm not exaggerating, it's awful - if you want an exercise in lunacy, try doing a few searches on it, and wondering how it can return results of 300% accuracy... CaseCheck also covers Employment Appeal Tribunal cases (another one that used to be a nightmare to search, and still can be, it's very unforgiving). And even better...it's FREE!!!

Here's how it works (as far as I can remember - I was suffering slightly from copyright-overload, so forgive me if I get some bits wrong) : Experts in their field (e.g. Digby Brown for the personal injury section) will write the expert opinion on each case, and users can comment on the cases posted on the site, which encourages discussion of the legal points brought up by each case. Links to the source material are provided wherever possible, and also to legislation if available.

A weekly email newsletter brings topics of possible interest to the legal profession straight to your inbox (I already subscribe to this, and shamefully, I like the gossip bit best!), and the recruitment section is very busy, and growing.

There are RSS feeds aplenty (this is indeed a spiffy thing!), and they're experimenting with Yahoo Pipes to see how they can use them to enhance the site and their offerings.

Overall, it's a brilliant new tool, especially for any Scottish law librarians looking to keep up with the output of the courts!

Although the Terms and Conditions section appears to ban reuse of material, I did ask yesterday if it was possible to use the postings, with the source properly attributed, within our internal current awareness service, and was told this was fine, as it's basically a free a type of marketing for the service. Once I have this confirmed in writing / an email (I don't work for lawyers for nothing you know!) I'm likely to be making it a regular visit...now, where do I find the time to add this material to current Awareness from!??!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's in a name?

In the case of this blog, it's a name that had no particular thought or planning behind it - I had no idea whether I would actually want to keep it going, what I would blog about, or that anyone would ever read it. Well, it's almost 4 years later (17th June 2007 is blog birthday, if we're counting), and the blog's still here, so I think we can now safely assume that it's probably going to be sticking around. And the name's been getting on my nerves a bit...you have no idea the amount of people who have found this blog looking for ladies called Jennie Law or Jenny Law. Personally, I'm not actually called Jennie Law, so I'm no help to these poor searchers, although for the right fee I could maybe consider pretending to be... I also don't blog a huge amount about law: I'm not a lawyer, I just have the job of finding stuff for lawyers. Sometimes that process amuses me, sometimes it annoys me, and I blog about it. Sometimes I write about library is

The mysteries of cataloguing

Cataloguing: an arcane art, where each piece of punctuation is significant, and commas and semi colons are all-powerful. Well, they are in "proper" libraries, where in-depth research of esoteric points goes on, and the precise spelling of Christian names, and information such as when a person lived and died can be crucial in pinpointing obscure facts. Here, we have our own catalogue system. It doesn't have a name, but if it did, it would probably be something along the lines of "I need this book NOW, no I don't care about the precise spelling of the authors middle name, or their date of birth." I know, I know, it's not snappy, but it's accurate. Cataloguing demands are different in a commercial law firm: we don't care about much more than what it's about, who wrote, when, and what jurisdiction it covers. And what we really, really care about is "where the hell is it". Law books are amazing: they have the power to move themselves f

Where are the UK Librarian blogs?

In response to various posts wondering about the strange lack of UK library / librarian blogs, I thought I’d have a look for myself to see where they’re all hiding. I did a search on Google Blogs, just using the words “ uk ” and “librarian”, and looked for posts published ‘anytime’, which gave me 24 pages of blog listings. This included spam blogs, duplicate postings, and various sites including ‘ uk ’ in the text of a link they’d posted. I learned a few things in the process. Lots of blogs post occasionally about librarians, without necessarily being written by librarians. If a blogger doesn't fill out their location information, it can be quite hard to work out where they're based without having to read a few posts and look for cultural references. “ UK ” also means "University of Kentucky ” ( See? ). There are quite a few interesting English language library bloggers, but they're not on this list 'cos they ain't in the UK. There really doesn’t