Skip to main content

To join or not to join?

I have a terrible, dirty secret. One that will make some librarians gasp in despair, and others maybe will feel relieved that they're not alone.

You see, I'm not actually a member, or user of public libraries.

There, I said it!

In fact, the only time I've been a member of a public library was at Uni, when I joined the local public library...and never used it. As a child, my Mum was a librarian in the local branch, and she just borrowed out books for me on her ticket, so we never got around to getting me a readers ticket. In secondary school, I used the school library, and sometimes the local library, with Mum still borrowing books on my behalf.

Now, as an adult, what I do is go to the local charity shops, buy a pile of whatever books from there that take my fancy at £1 each, read them, then give them back for resale. This means I give to charity twice over, once with the sale to me, and again with the donation back to them to resell. Also, I'll have an occasional shop at Amazon, buying enough of the £3 paperbacks to get free shipping, reading them, then again, giving them to the charity shops. I very rarely keep any of the books I buy, due to both space issues, and a knowledge that it'll be many years before I've forgotten enough of the contents to be able to read them again without thinking "I know what happens next".

I don't have any dependants, my money is entirely my own to spend as I see fit, so I don't feel that spending £15 to £20 a month or so on books is extortionate, although I realise there could be many people who would think spending that much on books regularly is insane.

As someone who isn't addicted to a particular author, reads fast but hates deadlines (ie return dates), tends to choose books to pick up based initially on their spine art, and is constantly fighting a book hoarding instinct, is there really any reason for me to use public libraries?

What could persuade me to switch from my buying and sending to charity habit, to joining and using a public library? Purely in relation to books - I'm aware public libraries have a lot more than just books in them, but I have my own computer and internet access, and don't want to join any sort of groups, so it would have to be the books that would tempt me in.

Am I a bad librarian for not being a member or user of my local library?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Jennie, you have simply GOT to get yourself along to your local library and fill out a membership form. Doesn't matter if you don't intend to use the library regularly, just join up as a symbol of support!

Public libraries are still judged partly on their membership figures so I always try to urge all of my friends (including virtual ones) to become members. It won't cost you anything to join but you'll be making a huge investment in the future of public library service provision, which will benefit society as a whole. Obviously, not you alone, but all of us together - there's strength in numbers after all!

Go on, do it today, support your local library! :-)
Christine Rooney-Browne
Scott said…
confess that despoite working in public libraraies for almost 10 years, I had not been a member of a library in 8 until a couple of months ago. I hang my head in shame no longer.
stupidgirl_no1 said…
I've not been a member of a public library since uni (ie 10 years). It's for much the same reasons, although I also get and give books through freecycle so it doesn't cost me anything! My current job isn't quite as librarianishy so I am now having more personal time when I feel inclined to curl up with a book so maybe I should join up, although need to read backlog I've collected first so that will take a while!
Dumpling said…
But Christine, would it not be worse for libraries to have membership figures with a high number of members who don't use, than have fewer members, but higher per-person usage?
Abigail said…
I would join--another source of free books is rarely a bad thing.

Personally, I'm a voracious reader and while I could probably buy cheaply second hand copies of many of the books I read, I love getting new stuff from my favorite authors, grabbing knitting patterns, or tracking down something I'd never spend the money on. For me--it's the browsing option, all kinds of topics and authors are there and free. (And it doesn't hurt that I work in a public library)

I didn't use a public library except for the summers while I did my undergraduate and graduate degrees. Getting my NYPL library card after that was like Christmas. I put books on hold like crazy and dropped into the branch once a week to replenish my supply (subway reading). You might look into their online catalog and using it more in that respect.

The best for me is a chance to branch out and read beyond what I would buy--for what I will pay for and what I actually end of up reading often is very different.
Katie said…
Interesting stuff, Jennie. I've been inspired to blather on a little in my own blog! Should librarians join their public library?

Popular posts from this blog

What's in a name?

In the case of this blog, it's a name that had no particular thought or planning behind it - I had no idea whether I would actually want to keep it going, what I would blog about, or that anyone would ever read it. Well, it's almost 4 years later (17th June 2007 is blog birthday, if we're counting), and the blog's still here, so I think we can now safely assume that it's probably going to be sticking around. And the name's been getting on my nerves a bit...you have no idea the amount of people who have found this blog looking for ladies called Jennie Law or Jenny Law. Personally, I'm not actually called Jennie Law, so I'm no help to these poor searchers, although for the right fee I could maybe consider pretending to be... I also don't blog a huge amount about law: I'm not a lawyer, I just have the job of finding stuff for lawyers. Sometimes that process amuses me, sometimes it annoys me, and I blog about it. Sometimes I write about library is

The mysteries of cataloguing

Cataloguing: an arcane art, where each piece of punctuation is significant, and commas and semi colons are all-powerful. Well, they are in "proper" libraries, where in-depth research of esoteric points goes on, and the precise spelling of Christian names, and information such as when a person lived and died can be crucial in pinpointing obscure facts. Here, we have our own catalogue system. It doesn't have a name, but if it did, it would probably be something along the lines of "I need this book NOW, no I don't care about the precise spelling of the authors middle name, or their date of birth." I know, I know, it's not snappy, but it's accurate. Cataloguing demands are different in a commercial law firm: we don't care about much more than what it's about, who wrote, when, and what jurisdiction it covers. And what we really, really care about is "where the hell is it". Law books are amazing: they have the power to move themselves f

Where are the UK Librarian blogs?

In response to various posts wondering about the strange lack of UK library / librarian blogs, I thought I’d have a look for myself to see where they’re all hiding. I did a search on Google Blogs, just using the words “ uk ” and “librarian”, and looked for posts published ‘anytime’, which gave me 24 pages of blog listings. This included spam blogs, duplicate postings, and various sites including ‘ uk ’ in the text of a link they’d posted. I learned a few things in the process. Lots of blogs post occasionally about librarians, without necessarily being written by librarians. If a blogger doesn't fill out their location information, it can be quite hard to work out where they're based without having to read a few posts and look for cultural references. “ UK ” also means "University of Kentucky ” ( See? ). There are quite a few interesting English language library bloggers, but they're not on this list 'cos they ain't in the UK. There really doesn’t