Skip to main content

Love in the library is a quiet thing*

Cosy, secluded corners....casual browsing hands accidentally brushing against others while running over spines...eyes being drawn to each other over well-stocked shelving...the library appears to uncover hidden wells of desire in both its staff and its visitors.

Perhaps you met someone there, perhaps you just missed someone there...how do you tell people in the library of your true, inner feelings?

Do you get in touch with Missed Connections, and describe how you almost met your other half while browsing in the library?
Shop

But I fear that this is too open, too blatant. Perhaps you would prefer to communicate in the way you like to relax: with the written word?

Would you like to "check someone out"?

Shop

Once they know you like them, maybe you can "borrow" them?
Shop

This is going well! Now, you must tell them how you feel! Begin gently...
Shop

Are they truly the one for you? Are you ready to tell them that? Here you go then:
Shop

Or maybe you're more of a visual communicator? A few subtle page manipulations, and you too could "accidentally" leave an image like this in front of your intended....
Shop

Or line these up in their vicinity, to catch their when they look up from their latest read:
Shop


Of course, when all goes well, and you're scampering down the aisle, guests gleefully casting pages of books at your heels instead of petals, then you'll need a fitting topper for the wedding cake:
Shop


You never know, it might even be the librarian that catches your eye:
Shop
Or perhaps you'll catch theirs:
Shop


And remember...not even the books are immune to the power of a library to unlock the emotions....

Shop


*yet more stereotyping features in this post

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When mentoring malfunctions

Mentoring's one of the standard activities that you'll come across in the information profession. We're very caring and sharing like that, wanting to support people in their professional development. As you start your career as an information professional, you'll regularly hear the advice: get a mentor. Or, as you advance in your career and seem to be doing well, you'll be advised to become a mentor. This is fine: yes, both being mentored and being a mentor can be excellent relationships, and very useful for both parties involved. But.....mentoring relationships are like any other relationships: they can go wrong. And they can go wrong in a whole lot of ways. I've heard of mentors and mentees whose relationships have malfunctioned due to mismanagement, wrong focus, disinterest, and inappropriate behaviour. Like any other relationship, bullying and abuse can happen in mentor/mentee arrangements, but it can be very difficult for the participants to escape t...

Time to shut down?

I've been thinking a lot recently about what my blog is actually contributing. I'm not a leading 'thinker', I'm not an investigative reporter, I'm not really great at anything, I'm just, well, here. It's been great for meeting other law librarians, both in the UK and internationally, but do I actually really contribute anything useful or new? I don't think so, to be very honest. So what's the point of me continuing this blog? I can now post (hopefully) useful stuff to the law.librarian collaborative blog, which I would otherwise have posted here, so this blog has become kind of surplus to requirements really. I started it to post items I thought were relevant to my field, so I could refer back to them easily, but law.librarians does a far better job of it together than I could ever do on my own! I may continue to post items of relevance to Scots law only, or the more fun / frivolous that doesn't really fit on law.librarians, but I think that...

Careering along

When I look around at the activities of information professional groups, it seems that there’s a disparity. There’s quite often a lot of support and funding available for those who’re just starting out in the profession, but a desert of nothingness for those of us who’re “just getting on with it”. If you’re a new professional, you have lots of groups to support you as you progress in your early career, various prize funds available for essay and report writing, access to bursaries for conference attendance, eligibility for awards for being new and enthusiastic. But what do you get when you’re past that bright-eyed-and-bushy-tailed first 5 years (5 years seems to be the approximate cut-off point for becoming “established” and no longer new). What happens when you’ve already received a bursary from an organisation earlier in your career and so wouldn’t be eligible for one now, meaning you’re not able to attend events or training? When you’re heavily involved in a project but not at ...